Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calibration Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serrand

Mechanical
May 9, 2007
CA
Hey guys,
I am currently making a calibration tank for underwater sensors. I am using a heat exchanger to bring the tank to a certain temperature, once it has reached it the heat exchanger will turn itself off and only the stirrer will run during the calibration. I am trying to calculate the heat shed by the aluminum instruments, after the heat exchanger has been turned off. And for that I need the convection coefficient. Could anybody help me where I can find a reasonable value without having to go through a flow analysis. The instruments can be approximated by cylinders and the working fluid is sea water.
Thank you for your help
Dom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmmm.... I don't get it. Shouldn't the instruments and the fluid be in equilibrium for a temperature calibration, or are you calibrating for heat flux (or something proportional to heat flux) at a given constant temperature?

The heat transfer is proportional to Reynolds number, so depends on how vigorously you agitate. Alternatively, free convention is a function of buoyant and viscous forces.

You will need a basic heat transfer text to indicate which calc route to follow given the dominant heat transfer mechanism present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back