Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cam timing pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

95naSTA

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2006
US
I have a question about changing the orientation of the cam sensor and marks on a dohc 60* v6 engine.
Originally the cam sensor reads off the face of the main timing sprocket.
The timing dash marks and sprocket can be seen on the right in the picture:
Now, If I were to move those tick marks half way closer to the center of the sprocket, and had the same cam sensor read off the new marks, would the pcm still be able to read it correctly?
The marks would be angularly on the same line but they would be closer together and possibly not as wide. They would occur at the same point in the revolution though.
Sample frequency probably too low?
Thanks for any input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume that it is a magenetic cam phaze sensor in which case it should be ok since it is measuring the missing teeth to determine its position for the sequntial efi.
you should not reduce the diameter too much as you will
lose signal resolution.

I have first hand experience with application of Hall Effect sensors which is that there is a threshold of tooth/space size below which the ability of the sensor to resolve metal/no metal becomes marginal. The maximum air gap tends to decrease with scale. It boils down to keeping the application details within the particular sensor's specification. Since you probably don't have access to the specification, you will probably have to proceed cautiously using the trial & error method. If you get it to work, I would recommend you investigate the air gap tolerance of your setup and make sure you have some signal margin, without the teeth wiping the face of the sensor. Make sure you account for differential thermal expansion of the housing vs camshaft, as well as camshaft axial float and pickup wheel axial runout.
Also, be advised that certain sensors are sensitive to their orientation with respect to the direction of tooth travel. If you are going to change this orientation I would recommend experimenting to determine the effect on sensitivity, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back