Status
Not open for further replies.

BEMPE16524

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2008
SG
Hi Guys,

I need to find cheaper solution here. Here it goes:

We have an ROV system which is using a fiber optical for data and video transfer but unfortunately it does not have the capability of carrying HD signal.
So, for almost 20 years, we have been using cheap composite video signal camera. We have engaged the fiber optic people and the price to upgrade is not cheap.
I just want to know if anyone have ever try or suggest if i can use a USB webcam and use converter to RS232 or 485 and transmit the signal to the surface.
Bare in mind that we can't use any software in subsea unit but on the surface (control cabin) is not a problem. Please refer to my attachment for reference.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=56c74cb2-814a-470b-85ae-842d44a8d9f3&file=CAMERA.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would use a system designed for such data transfers... harder on the immediate budget, but easy to install.

Here's one example...

Dan - Owner
URL]

A more modern system architecture would treat the fiber connection as Ethernet, using cheap commercial converters at each end. Then the electrical integration (connectivity) becomes the easiest aspect of modifications and upgrades.

I doubt that option is available to you.

If you can't change anything in the existing system, one concept would be using another wavelength on the fiber.

I doubt that would be any cheaper than paying the OEM for their upgrade.

edit - PS. This isn't the best forum for this question. It's nothing to do with Antennas & Propagation.

IRstuff,

That's a good idea too. The only problem, our subsea control pod already has a fiber module as per drawing (remote) and the connector are all dedicated to certain function. But we have dedicated RS232 and 485 outlet through the fiber module for sensors (sonar, etc). Note that the video input/output is only meant for composite signal as i mentioned earlier.
CAMERA1_x5ikdt.jpg

CAMERA2_zyjfof.jpg

CAMERA3_eodqea.jpg

CAMERA4_gdksox.jpg

CAMERA5_ekwxaq.jpg

That's why i think maybe there is a chance to use the RS232 or 485 channel with the usb camera. My only concern is can it work before i start to purchase all the required stuffs.
From what i know, the USB to RS232 converter run through a software, so, will it work if i run the software from topsite since it is impossible to do it in subsea.

CAMERA6_ihnfsu.jpg

Then, I think you're smoking something really good.

Full HD is 1920x1080, so even at 1 bit/pixel, compressed, and 30-Hz frame rate, you need 62 Mbps, which is not going to happen with standard RS-422 or RS-232. Some sort of LVDS might manage that.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529

'Broadcast quality' video sent over our Bell Fibe FTTH network is reportedly less than 8 Mbps per HD channel. Reportedly 25 Mbps supports 3 HD and 1 SD channels at once. It's presumably a modern encoding standard such as H.265. Not a USB webcam.

Somebody will have to engineer a solution. If the OEM has already done that, and has an upgrade available, is it likely that there's a cheaper hack to accomplish the same thing? Possible, but not likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back