Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CamWorks and hole wizard features

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHPilot

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2002
US
Our machine shop uses Camworks for our parts designed in SolidWorks. When countersink or counterbored features are put in using the hole wizard, CamWorks does not automatically recognize the csink or cbore portion. If the same feature is put in as a cut extrude vs. cut revolve, then everything works fine. Anyone else come across this?
As a designer, I use the hole wizard as a convenient way to save time, but it ends up taking our programmer extra time to manually program those holes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solidworks is a little quirky with some of our third party software as well. I can't go into great detail for proprietary reasons but I usually avoid the hole wizzard, although not for the same reasons you are talking about. I agree the hole wizzard saves time as a designer but when you are working closely with manufacturing people it is always the good practice to communicate with them and try to work with them. Alot of engineers and designers ignore the manufacturing aspect of thier projects and tend to have a who cares attitude towards the shop aspect of manufacturing. If the C-sinks and C-Bores are the only things causing problems I would just use the hole wizzard for simple holes, and then another simple hole for C-bore, and use chamfer tools for the C-sinks. This will allow you to still use the hole wizzard and avoid the quirky intreface problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back