Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Camworks Tool Cribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwlynn64

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2005
US
Can I save a tool crib from one drawing and import it into another drawing?

I am new to Camworks and I have not had any luck with these. Do you have to make a custom crib for each drawing that you make or does each user have to save his own tool crib?

My experience with this progame is so minimal I don't even know if I am asking the right question.

John Lynn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean a part not a drawing?
Within a part in CAMWorks, you can export the data then import into a similar part.
I'm not familiar enough with CAMWorks to know what a Tool Crib is.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 5.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

Sorry, I did mean a part.

As far as the crib, it is part of the machine set up. You have to have the machine set up correctly before you can do anything else with CamWorks. If the tool crib is not set up correctly, it will not create the correct G code.

just as an aside, on the forum list, it shows this thread to have 8 replies but I can only see one? Strange.

I haven't used that program before, but in all the other cam /cad programs I've used you should be able to save the "crib" as a default tool library. Try going to the help and search "tool library" or "crib defaults"

I finally was able to talk with a technical help person. Basically, my part was drawn in millimeters and when I switched to the camworks tab, it was automatically loading the default mm mil machine.

The tool crib that I wanted to use was created on an inch mil machine.

To resolve my problem, I just had to switch the part to use inch units.

I can say that Camworks is not very user friendly. I think that the more I use, the better I'll understand it. The alternative is a $500 DVD you can order for training.

I agree. I remember our machinists had a week of training and took weeks to understand it. Once they did, it worked great. I just learned the basics and what needed to be done to the files and designs to help them.
Good for you to fix the problem.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 5.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back