Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a Foreign Degree Holder with Int'l Experience in Trade Job become a Journeyman In Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfrancis

Electrical
Aug 11, 2017
CA
Hello all,
For those that are familiar with Canadian rules,
Can a Foreign Degree Holder with Int'l Experience in a Trade become a Journeyman In Canada?
I know there is typically a 4-year apprentice training route. But that is typically for those with just high school education or at best diploma cert holder. I am not sure if university degree holders are allowed in Trades generally.

Kindly help clarify.
Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I’m not Canadian and won’t be able to answer your question, but I’m sure it will be a lot easier for someone else to answer if you provide more hard information in lieu of the rather vague details given. What kind of degree? What type of trade?

Apologies David,
The degree is in electrical engineering;
The trade is Electrician (reading line diagrams, Installing lighting fixtures in buildings, conduits, electric pumps etc)

I am Canadian, and will try to provide at least a partial answer.

In my view, holding a degree in Electrical Engineering, foreign though it may be, would likely cause you to be considered highly overqualified to become an electrician; I foresee issues with you finding a placement.

If you can handle the shift work, maybe even only for a few years, you could consider the power grid operating discipline; most utilities place high value on system operating experience and consider it a definite asset. Becoming a power system controller might also help you get your foot in the door, as the saying goes, and position you to apply for engineer vacancies as an internal applicant.

By way of example, many of the controllers I have worked with arrived as college grads with degrees/diplomas as Electrical Engineering Technicians/Technologists, and joined the company as controllers with the end goal of securing employment as Area Distribution Engineering Technicians - and they were successful in that endeavour.

Strangely enough, a number of journeyman electricians have also become power system controllers because they wanted more of a challenge...

Your immigration status might end up being your greatest obstacle, however...

If you provide more information, you may get a more helpful answer.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Start looking for a job. You will find different rules and different enforcement of the rules in different parts of the industry.
Some provinces will allow you to challenge the exam.
If you have no practical experience, you may have to serve at least part of an apprenticeship.
Some provinces will give you some credit towards your apprenticeship time because of your degree.
Good to know: In Canada there is a "Red Seal" program. Any province may issue a Red Seal or Inter-provincial Ticket in addition to the provincial ticket. The Provincial final exam and the red seal exam are often written within a day or so of each other.
Many electricians in Canada carry a red seal ticket.
A red seal ticket is recognized in all provinces. (Except maybe Quebec, but I understand that Quebec issues a red seal ticket).
Keep trying. Don't believe all that you may be told.
If you seem to hit an obstacle, go sideways and try again else where, a different office or a different province.
There are residential electricians.
There are commercial/institutional electricians.
There are industrial electricians.
Some provinces require a yearly license to work as an electrician. There is a fee. If you do not have a ticket for that province you must write and pass the exam.
BUT
If you have a ticket with the Red Seal, you simply pay the fee and the license to work is issued.
Are you in Canada now?
Good luck.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

@crshears
You just addressed my fears - over qualification and getting a placement.
I truly appreciate your suggestions. I just did a little search for what's required to be a power grid operator and not much came up.
Pardon my naivety, are you saying a degree holder stand a better chance of getting a grid operator as opposed to electrician position?
I know power engineering is regulated and there are exams and "steam time" requirement to meet. For the grid operator, is there any training or course I should look into?
BTW I am a permanent residence in Saskatchewan - does that help?
My understanding is that saskpower is the sole power provider in the province (pls correct me if I am wrong).

@waross
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Its the very same "keep trying" attitude that's prompting me to consider going the trade route. I'll keep pushing and "knocking on the door"
I am in Saskatchewan. as you pointed out, do you know if I can get some waivers in that province?

Hey wfrancis,

I am in Ontario and my utility provides its own power grid controller training; I suspect not only SaskPower but BCHydro and Manitoba Power would do the same, so if you have any interest in pursuing grid operations as a career I personally see little merit in trying to get more preliminary training for it.

You may not find out a lot on line about controller training; I'd recommend contacting the utilities directly with your inquiry.

And yes, I do think having an EE degree would be less of a roadblock to getting a controller trainee position than it would be to securing any type of electrician's job. Others are, of course, free to disagree with me...

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

In general I'd be leery of hiring an electrician with an engineering degree. But I'd consider experience as an electrician as a distinct plus when looking for an engineer. One seems over qualified while the other has great relevant experience. Knowing how to design what you're building doesn't seem as useful as knowing how what you're designing will get built.

Someone with an EE and willing to get hands on sounds like a good candidate for an electrical testing company, have you considered that area of work? It seems there is always openings (at least when I was working in that part of the world) for people to do testing in several areas of Canada.

Just a thought,

I am an overseas electrician now living in Canada, All I had to do was sit the trades examination, actually if I recall correctly it was just the Code section.
Another avenue might be to seek employment with a factory maintenance company maintaining electrical equipment but not having to know the code up front as you wouldn't be doing new wiring.

You need to take your credentials to the provincial apprenticeship board and apply for an apprenticeship. They will certainly give you credit for your engineering degree, and place you accordingly. Best case scenario: you challenge the fourth year final test, but I suspect that they will require you to put in at least 750 hours as a fourth year before they give you a ticket. That fourth year test will have some technical aspects, but will be heavily weighted towards the Canadian Electrical Code. Be warned that the CEC is not intuitive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back