Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can a gear operator be used with OS&Y valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgsMyDude

Mechanical
Jul 28, 2021
US
I'm looking for confirmation that I can specify a 12" OS&Y gate valve with a gear operator. My overall goal is to put the wheel perpendicular to grade so that a chain can be used. As is, a handwheel would be a bit too far above grade for an operator to reach and I don't have much room to add in steps. I believe a gear operator is pretty typical for a 12" Class 300 valve just due to torque rqmts but I am having trouble confirming this is compatible with an OS&Y valve.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can specify whatever you wish to purchase. The company I work for doesn't produce gate valves so I am somewhat out of my element here, but I tend to agree that due to the size a gear operated configuration should be commonly available. The best way to be sure is to contact your valve supplier/manufacturer, and ask if that is an available configuration. They should be able to produce a sales drawing of your configuration as well. If it isn't in the standard offerings the cost impact may be higher than expected, but as long as you are willing to accept that, I don't see any issue with your specification. Most suppliers and smaller manufactures will work with you to get you what you want.

Thanks for the responses all. I sent a request out to a vendor and I believe they were able to supply me with a drawing that fits my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back