Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can anyone help me identify which material is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroburn315

Aerospace
Sep 26, 2013
PK
I have 2 different steel material and got them both tested and following are the results. However I am not sure which steel is better from both of the comparison. If anyone can help me out to identify it, I will really appreciate it.

1_qmj7fw.png

Sorry for the bad quality. (Pic Also attached)

Kind Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on what the application is. More information needed before you start getting meaningful responses.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

Thank you for the prompt reply.
Actually it is a gear part of a harvester. And the material is different from the original and I am trying to figure out which material is better in terms of strength, wear and tear etc. Or in general if we compare each other which material is superior?

Can you please let me know what else details I can provide? thanks

ALso, does the material composition also affect the price? can we determine which material is more expansive or cheaper just by looking at this composition?

I would imagine that Sample A is more expensive based on it's slightly higher chromium content and the addition of nickel.

Are these the only elements they tested for or are these the only significant elements they found out of a more extensive test? Was each sample only tested once? Did they give you any error estimation for the expressed values?

Edit: Also, given that these are each steels, it would be possible to heat treat them and change the mechanical properties. This would have a significant impact on the cost as well as which is "better".

Aidan McAllister
Metallurgical Engineer

Steel B can be heat treated to higher hardness, but not in thick sections.
Steel A will heat treat deeply and likely have better toughness, but not quite as strong or hard.
Cost, manufacturing and heat treat methods, part size, and required properties are all important to consider.
Is there any welding involved? That should also be considered.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

If it is a gear then you will want characteristics appropriate for case hardening (if I can make that assumption).
ASM Handbook is an excellent reference.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

OP said " the material is different from the original."

What is the original material?
Did it perform acceptably?
If not, what was unacceptable about it's performance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back