Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can anyone help me with a complex surface problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrow

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2001
CA
Hi Group,
I am bashing my head against the monitor on this one, and the boss is pacing up and down behind my wondering why i can't solve this???

I have an elliptical cone that is swept as a surface, and constrained by a guide curve. The problem is that it looks great as a part, but i cannot get the damm thing to thicken into a solid.
Can i email anyone that is interested in looking at this part, and throwing their two bits in?

Thanks
Gerry Bolda

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me look at it too. I wonder if you shouldn't make the cone as a solid first, then chop it through to get the shape you want? Anyway, send me the drawing.

troberts23@aol.com

I'll take a piece of this action!
Roland@LiquidSchwarz.com

p.s. part files sizes get smaller when you suppress all the features. [bat]Gravity is a harsh mistress.[bat]

I think Troberts has the idea, make it a solid model first, then Shell it to the desired thickness. Ray Reynolds
Senior Designer
Read: faq731-376
"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Is the part knitted together? If so, then what about exporting it out as an IGES and bring it back into SW then run a Diagnose on the feature and run a tools\check to see where the problem is at. You maybe missing a surface or you may have some gaps. Once repaired then try and knit the surface and insert\base-boss\thicken.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

Hi Guys,
ok i'm getting close, instead of revolving the surface it has been suggested to surface loft with a couple of guide curves, this is much better, although i am still having some ripples that i can't iron out.
Recent replies have been emailed with the part attached.

Stay tuned

Gerry Bolda

Scarecrow,

I'd like to have a look at this. I do a lot of swept elliptical surfacing and am wondering what the problem is.

One thing I've noticed in the sketcher is that converted/offset elliptical entities are turned into splines. (There are logical reasons for this.) This may have something to do with the difficulty in offsetting an elliptical surface without problems.

If you don't mind, please visit my web site (in sig below) and go to the contact page for my email address. I get spammed to death when I post it.

Thanks,

Jeff Mowry
DesignHaus Industrial Design

Okay, SLice me in on this pie too... I do a great deal of complex surfacing and I would love to help solve your problem.

Send data to benavides@funtech.com if you would please and I should be able to help you out.

Regards,
Jon
jgbena@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back