Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone think of a way of setting up a Beck's column?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugary1999

Mechanical
May 19, 2016
US
Hi all,

I am studying the dynamic instability and post-critical wave-like oscilation of Beck's column. I want to get some experimental results to compare to the analytical solution.

A Beck's column is simply a cantilever beam with a tangential follower force at the tip.

One experiment we have done was using rubber tube (like garden hose). The water jet coming out of the tubing is equivalent to a follower force. There should be a critical load or critical volume flow rate where the tube becomes unstable, and that value compares well with the theoretical value.

Now we want to set up the experiment in another way so that the follower force is more "controllable" -- it was just a rough estimate to relate volumetric flow rate and force magnitude, plus we want to have the follower force acting on a real beam or slender rod.

One way we have come up with is using wires and magnets, but it's tougher than expected to set it up such that the force is always tangential to the beam.

So this is more of a thread looking for ideas rather than solving problems. We have some budget so please do not limit your imagination within what I've mentioned.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back