Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can API 510 be used on vessel that has never been in service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtibodo

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2002
US
I work for a chemical company and have found a vessel that
was ASME Sec VIII built and code stamped in 1975 and then mothballed at the fabricators facility.
This vessel was never put into service. The Chem Co. wants to buy this vessel and have their contract repair organization alter/repair it.
Is there any prohibition to doing this under API 510?
The only problem that I see is that it was never really "Put into Service". I am of the opinion that the service requirement could really mean on the service side of the ASME code stamping point in time.
Also once it is ASME stamped is up to the Owner user to do as he pleases except of course unless prohibited by a jurisdiction. There is no jurisdiction in this case.

Please point me in the right direction.

EDT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Followings are personal opinion only!

1.1 of API 510 states "This inspection code is only applicable to vessels that have been placed in service and have been inspected by an authorized inspection agency or repaired by a repair organization as defined in 3.15. Adoptions and use of this inspection code does not permit its use in conflict with any prevailing regulatory requirements."

The inspection, rating, repair, and alteration of API 510 are based on "Maintenance." For a never put into service vessel, following 3 codes may have more authorities than API 510 under your situations.

1. ANSI/NB-23 National Board Inspection Code by the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors
Part RC: Repairs and Alterations
Part RD: Repair Methods
Appendix 6: Examples of Repairs and Alterations

2. Your State Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspection Code

3. ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code

Clarifying "never really put in service" re ASME Code.
ASME is a new construction Code. The Mfr's Data Report is signed & Code stamp applied at completion of all fabrication, inspection, & testing. Thereafter, all modifications or repairs are performed & certified to other Codes such as NBIC. For a new tank still in control of original ASME fabricator, it may be possible to arrange with AI for approval to "pull" origninal certification & stamping, perform modifications, retest, & certify to ASME.
Even though not used, your tank is 27 years old, & was constructed to a Code edition which is no longer valid for new construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back