Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can Culvert Flow Method formula be used for SD pipe sizing in place of WSPG software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Indrawan

Civil/Environmental
Feb 1, 2021
US
I’m a reviewing a hydraulic analysis of a 42” SD system (1,700LF long) that carries a constant flow of 150CFS. Instead of WSPG program the designer is using a manual formula of Culvert Flow Method/ Open Channel Hydraulics by Richard French. The entire system consists of 17 different sections with varying slopes and directions throughout. He analyzes each section individually as if it is a separate culvert instead of a continuous conduit. Any advice would be appreciated.
Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Joe, First off I am not familiar with this approach, I will google later. I typically use Manning's. I will say that a normal depth approach may be adequate. First I presume the normal depth approach shows that system is open channel and not surcharged. If yes, then the approach should consider the flow regime within the conduit. If the flow regime is subcritical then there could be back water impacts and the system could become surcharged and then operate as a full flow storm sewer. If supercritical, no losses transfer upstream an the one could use the direct step method to compute the flow profile through the pipe system. Hope this helps.

Open Channel Hydraulics by Richard French is a perfectly acceptable reference. however analyzing each section separately is prone to errors if tailwater conditions and other head losses in manholes and junctions are not properly accounted for. WSPG would certainly be a good software alternative to manual calculations for a storm drain of this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back