Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can damping ratio be calculated without experiments or damping coefficient?

hawkish_man

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2024
IN
I’m familiar with the experimental methods to determine the damping ratio of a material, but I’m wondering if there’s an alternative way to calculate it using mechanical properties alone.

For example, stiffness (K) can be derived using the formula K= (A*E)/L, where A is the area, E is the modulus of elasticity, and L is the length. I’m curious if there’s a similar approach for damping ratio? Assume we don't know the Damping Co-efficient or factor.

And, if you don't have the resources to conduct experiments to determine damping, are there any sources like MatWeb where we can find the damping ratios for materials?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You've assumed E in your stiffness example, which has to be measured (well OK you can calculate it if you measure some other stuff instead). No there isn't a way of calculating damping for a structure, that I know of. If you have a large discrete damper in the system (eg TV damper) then yes you can estimate the overall damping of the system, but again the characteristic of the damper will need to be measured.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Thanks for the reply,

Okay, damping needs to be measured. But are there any databases or websites with approximate damping ratios for different materials?

Thanks

Clarence Zener, formulated a quantum mechanical model of elastic damping in 1940, and offered experimental evidence to support his calculations.
Damping has to do with the nanometer scale imperfections in the material, that are affected under stress-strain conditions.

Back