Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can End Non-Linear Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nader32

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2010
US
I'm having problems with an analysis on a can end (like a campbell's soup can top).

The analysis is a non-linear study in which I am trying to first apply 40 psi inside....then 25 psi from the outside. I'm using shell elements and cutting the end in half (symmetry).

The problem (in real life) is that the can end wrinkles when the end is forced back down from the "up" condition.

The analysis seems to work when I lessen the first internal pressure to keep the stresses in the elastic range. However, when I increase the first internal pressure to go into the plastic range the model always chokes where the pressure reverses and the can end wants to buckle from the "up" condition to the "down" condition.

I've tried force, displacement and Arc Length control. I've even tried a Non-Linear dynamic study. Nothing seems to work. The stress and strain plots show nothing of interest (i.e. the start of wrinkling).

Any good ideas out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back