Can H-Beam be welded to Standard I-Beam? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

syedfarhanali

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2012
SA
Hi Guyz

I am bit confused, I want to Know that Can H-Beam be welded to Standard I-Beam?

Because I-Beam is having bit slopped section.

Farhan

EngineerPK.ORG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand you correctly....

Two elements can be welded together if they are of similar metal properties.

Thy can be cut into the required shape to allow a fillet or penetration weld to connect them.

I don't know what sort of welded connection you're considering from your post, but presume you're talking about making welded T joints, i.e. where one member would need to be cut out (coped) at its end to fit the other regardless what cross section shape you're using.

The sections you're calling I beams are what we call S (slender) sections, generally used for columns. The sections you're calling H beams are what we call W (wide flange) sections. Depending on the weights per foot used, their dimensions can differ a lot. Some of them fit nicely, while others would take quite a bit of coping to fit together and the result would be pretty ugly. The same goes for C channels connected to W or S sections or to one another. Detailing this sort of stuff for efficient fabrication is an art.

I've seen all sorts of sections jammed into one another because somebody at a CAD station thought it would work. We're not talking about optimized main structural steel here- generally we're talking about some secondary framing between main structural members. Again, detailing structural steel for optimal fabrication, knowing what works easily and what doesn't, is taken to a high art by certain people.

I may be presuming too much here, but are you referring to HEB (H) and IPE (I) sections? If so, these are dimensionally standardised to help avoid the fabrication problems so far discussed. For example, the IPE300 and HEB300 will both have a total depth of 300mm.

Consideration is required when connecting the flanges, and a transition slope can be profile in the weld detail.

HEB's/IPE's is much easier to detail than older BS universal beams/columns.

As said before, I am talking generally here, without knowing more from the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back