Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I create a "tiff" file from (1) a dwg file,(2) a paper space view 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccst

Civil/Environmental
Feb 7, 2003
US
Am having trouble creating a readable archive file (tiff or bmp) from a dwg file or a paper space view. Given the plan and profile document created in paper space by LDD (Softdesk Civil, when I create the tiff file the lettering is lost as it is zoomed. The bmp file does the same thing but will only convert the items in paper space to the bmp file.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use a program called Amethyst CADconvert. It converts .dwg files directly to a number of graphics formats, including .tif, on a batch basis. It works very well and is inexpensive, ~$100.

Depending upon your intended use of the resulting .tif files, you may need to to crop them, because AutoCAD saves the whole screen image, not just the selected objects. I use a graphic editing program such as Paint Shop Pro by Jasc Software to crop the .tif files. A number of other graphics editing programs can be used as well for this purpose.

This URL will get you to Amethyst:
I hope it helps.

I have noticed the problem before, and found that if I played with the resolution (I think setting it LOWER) greatly improved the linework and text of the drawing. It's as if the minimal amount of image in an AutoCad dwg. (compared to a picture/photo) gets lost in the higher resolutions of your raster plots. This also eliminated the need to zoom at all. Just try setting the resolution to its lowest setting and see how things work out. (Sun standard works pretty good)

Good luck!

I just bought some software called "Pushbutton PDF" by Bluebeam. It is awesome! It does just what it says, allows you to create a PDF directly from AutoCAD. I know you are looking for the .TIF format, but thought this could help you as well.

$249 for a single license and discounts for multiple over ten.

Brett

As a followup to Brett's post about PDF, most of Adobe's products, even the inexpensive ones, include the PDFwriter print driver which is all you need to create high quality PDF files. I'm not sure about now, but I know about a year of so ago, Adobe's PhotoShop Home edition (+-$50) included the driver. They no longer offer it, but it should still be available in some stores until supplies are gone. Another great option is Adobe's Create PDF online option. For $9.99/month or $99.00/year, you can create PDF files from your AutoCAD drawings through this site: You can even try it out first with 5 free files.

Hope this helps. Jeff Foster, PE
CE Group, Inc.
Apex, NC

I'm not sure about PDF writer- there was something by that name from Adobe that was largely useless.
There are a number of PDF conversion programs out there- one is at (no affiliation- I just used it for a while)
I went ahead and spent the money for Acrobat, 'cause the cheapies generally don't do cropping, etc, etc.

good luck, have fun! Jay Maechtlen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back