Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can I model and analyze a multi-sto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amogh Deshpande

Structural
Apr 17, 2024
IN
Can I model and analyze a multi-storey timber building in ETABS? From where can I get the proper timber material properties? Since the building has no steel or concrete will it be able to sustain lateral and gravity loads? and what all things should be changed in the section properties

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can I model and analyze a multi-storey timber building in ETABS? Of course you can. ETABS doesn't have much in the was of DESIGN or code checks for wood members. But, analyzing wood is certainly possible.

From where can I get the proper timber material properties? This is where it gets tricky... YOU have to enter you wood material properties correctly to get good analysis results. Which means wood beams and columns will have different material properties based on their species, their size and their grading.

If you have shear walls (or diaphragms), you will have to adjust the material properties based on the thickness of the sheathing, the type of sheathing and the nailing. I believe the NDS' Special Design Provisions for Wind and Seismic has some examples on how to do this.

Since the building has no steel or concrete will it be able to sustain lateral and gravity loads? Well, it will have concrete foundations. Steel connections, anchors and such. But, the key to whether it can sustain the loads is YOU and how well you design it.

For what it's worth, if you're not experienced with wood, then I'd suggest starting with smaller project. Like designing a portico, deck or patio cover. Maybe designing a wood diaphragm for a warehouse or something. It's not crazy complicated, but the load paths can get a little tricky.

These are unfortunately very basic questions. Do you have a proper mentor to help you?

In short, because there's way too much to say in order for it to be complete:
Amogh said:
Can I model and analyze a multi-storey timber building in ETABS?
Yes, why wouldn't you?
Amogh said:
From where can I get the proper timber material properties?
Likely your building code will have guidance where this information should be found.
Amogh said:
Since the building has no steel or concrete will it be able to sustain lateral and gravity loads?
Wood panel shear walls are common, but on larger timber buildings there is often a composite construction style that uses concrete, steel or masonry shear walls or bracing.
Amogh said:
and what all things should be changed in the section properties?
ETABS documentation should help with this. Have you tried reading the user manual and gone through their online information?

Does this mean that this is a student question? If so, there is a student forum.

To answer your question, I have never used ETABS but I am confident that ETABS can do the analysis. But ETABS is a tool, you have to set up the analysis correctly. If ETABS doesn't have the proper materials and other "wood specific" properties it may be a challenge to get things right. So, you also need somebody who can give you very "hands on" help, both with wood and with ETABS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back