can i put a hot tub here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_stu

Structural
Aug 14, 2020
US
hi, all.

I'm renting an apartment in part of a house.
I just bought an inflatable hot tub, and am trying to set it up.
The landlord lives on site, and mentioned he was worried with my placement, because they have had to deal with settling and retaining wall issues in the recent past, and the porce corner where the (empty) tub is now sitting, supports part of the laundry room immediately behind it.

so I've done the math, and fully loaded the tub with people (6 of them... it should normally be just me) should weigh ~3000 lbs.
this is spread over a rounded square shape of 71" x 71".

I've attached a picture of the tub.
20200814_125724_d7bk5a.jpg

So I guess the question is... is this a bad idea?
our alternative i guess would be to level the ground immediately in front of the hot tub corner of the deck, and place it there.

I'm also looking to insulate the hot tub for the winter; have R 30 ish for the sides and R 15 for the bottom so far; hot tub is rated to 40"F.
Thinking i need to box in the freestanding motor and the connecting tubes, too.
Bonus points if you can point me in the right direction here, too.

Thanks in advance!!

Stuart

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's an "old" place. Even if the wood holds, the ground at the "foundations" is likely place for problems. I'd go for the ground off to the side some where. As an owner, I'd also question the appearance of insulation . Since this "pool" is likely much cheaper than a "solid" portable one that already is insulated, I'd pay the price for hot water each time I use it.

Agree with OG...nothing stable there due to erosion of hillside. Put it on the ground. I can see why they have retaining wall and settlement issues!

i think your weight will be a lot more than 3000 lbs
6 foot square, 3 feet deep - the water will weigh more than twice that

Is the porch a concrete slab or wood. It looks like concrete to me.

Last thing I am curious about, what do you mean by "a rounded square"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back