Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I record the project meetings in Canada or USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccpe

Civil/Environmental
Apr 29, 2007
CA
Meeting notes or minutes are very important and should be written down after the project meetings. But in most times, we are not able to finish writing down the meeting notes or minutes during the meetings. Therefore I want to record the meetings by audio recorder in order to finish the meeting minutes later. Is this allowed in USA and Canada? Is there any legal issues?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the US at least this may vary by jurisdiction (i.e. state etc.) - even then if all parties are willing it's probably OK but good to check.

However, I would say if you're doing a good job of taking notes it shouldn't be necessary in most situations. Old fashioned meeting minutes that read almost like a court stenographers transcription aren't that useful, a succinct list of decisions made, concerns raised, actions assigned and that sort of thing is typically more useful in my experience.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

KENAT, I agreed with you. The problem is that I may forget some details which might be very important. This kind of errors have happened from time to time. And even big company may hire a person to record the minutes, I also found that this kind of errors had happened from time to time and might impact on project activities or work. To keep audio records is definitely a good approach. But it is worth of seeking legal advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back