Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i save a file with SW 2008 and open on SW 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivefast

Automotive
Dec 21, 2007
US
I currently have SW 2007 on my personal computer that I bring to work. I am getting a new company computer and they are buying SW for it. The problem is the machine shop we deal with uses SW 2007 and I don't think they will be able to open the models I create with the new version. Is there a way to save a file on 2008 so it can be opened by an older version? Also can I still buy SW 2007.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems to me if you have SolidWorks 2007 on your personal computer. You should be able to load it on your work machine. You can run SolidWorks at home as well as at work. Unless I am missing something here?

Bradley
SolidWorks Pro 2008 x64 SP1.1
PDM Works, Dell XPS Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 5 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400
e-mail is Lotus Notes

There's no easy way. If you need to work within 2007, you are limited to making your files in 2007 (one way or another). If you already have a series of models, you can invest the time to convert them manually, but this means using tools like FeatureWorks and editing the files in 2007 yourself before you send them. It's almost the same as just recreating them in 2007.

Matt Lorono
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group
and Mechnical.Engineering Yahoo! Group

We ususally prefer to send models to machine shops as Parasolid files. They should not be able to modify them so dumb models are good enough for them. We send out drawings as PDF files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back