Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I sit for the FE and later the PE? Florida. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchwfsu

Structural
Dec 17, 2006
US
I have a BS in Physics and am enrolled in a masters in civil engineering currently. The masters program is not abet accredited (because abet will not accredit both a bachelors and masters program from the same university?). Will i be able to sit for the exam w/out the accredited bachelors??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably not. Florida has strict requirements for engineering classes. I also doubt your physics degree will have much of the engineering requirements (statics, etc.)

You can always just email/call them and ask.

All programs at Marquette University are ABET accredited. I don't know who's telling you ABET won't accredit both BS and MS programs.

If a PE is your goal, sounds like you are wasting your time and money at your current school. If you're like most of us, you have plenty of time and money to burn, though.

I don't know why ABET wouldn't accredit both undergraduate and graduate programs. Most graduate programs are done by schools that also offer accredited undergraduate programs. (I'm not sure why anyone would go through a program that wasn't accredited, either.)

In any event, the state board is the one that would make the call. Email or call them as mentioned above and see what you can find out. Usually, the state rules are online somewhere, and you can peruse them in detail as well.

As I recall (for the FE), you have to go to FBPE
and basically ask for persmission to sit for the exam. There was some sort of multiple choice test based upon the statutes, and then you would get a response allowing you to be listed for the test. Beyond that you had to register and pay for your seat. I think that website is the place to ask, although it can be a bit tricky to navigate.

The best thing to do is to call the FBPE. They were very polite when I called them for a question I had. Then you won't have any more "hear say".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back