Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I stop rust process in Iron Piping? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lombardo

Petroleum
Jun 8, 2002
MX
I had a lot of cloging oil filters problems in a screw refrigeration compressor, the filter was sent to a laboratory for analysis, and the results shown that the debris came from iron piping (the iron oxide has the appearence of rust. It is found in a platelet and powder form that means the debris came from the iron piping). Now we know the ammonia presents a lot of water contamnation so we replace the ammonia with a higher quality one and made a pipe cleaning process with gases at high pressures inside the pipe lines), but I want to know if are there some products that cleans all the rust inside the pipe lines in order to avoid the problem in ythe future or I need to replace the iron pipes for a new ones? Thanks in advance
Lombardo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Contact a chemical cleaning contractor (Hydrochem Industrial Services comes to mind) about this. There are a number methods from removal of rust/corrosion produce from the system.

Before you begin a chemical cleaning operation and there are several that may work for you, I would advise that you inspect the system to determine the degree of corosion using visual methods if possible and/or NDE. Check the dead legs for pitting. I have seen pipe systems where preinspection was not done and the corosion was so severe that the pipe system looked like a sprinkler system during chemical cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back