Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can inverters (UL 1741) operate with small genset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLCPA

Electrical
Jan 23, 2009
US
I have 5-10 kW wind turbines - each turbine has it's own inverter. I have a 146 kW PV array with one inverter. The load is 100kW @ 480Y/277VAC 60Hz. I am installing energy storage (another inverter) to be able to store excess PV energy during the day and use it at night. I want to 'island' when the utility is not available. Can I add a small genset (10kW) to get the inverters to think they are connected to the grid?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't answer your question, but respectfully submit the following.

If you do this, please video the results. Utility power is generally very stiff, and substantially determines the frequency for what ever source is connected to it. A 10Kw generator is likely a poor substitute, particularly when your load is 1000% of its capacity and another ? 200Kw of generation is connected. I would give better odds to your chances of success had you mentioned an electronic governed diesel set rated at least 125Kw.

I think your concept of "storage" needs more explanation. Inverters store only a very momentary charge in the capacitors, i.e 1-2 cycles. Inverters are simply tools for the transformation of one form of electricity (DC) to another (AC). They don't "know" from whence the energy they are working with comes from.

But you don't say what kind of wind generators you have, AC induction, AC synchronous or DC. I would suspect, given the existence of inverters, that it is DC, but that would be a guess. Maybe you could tell us the entire story instead of just pieces?

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

I've seen applications come in that use an SMA system that is designed to be grid tied when the grid is available and work with a generator when there is no grid available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back