Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can multiple parts be imported at once (50-100 parts)? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

srkangas

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2004
US
Help! I need to import all kinds of parts, actually IGES files, and look them over all together. Is there a way to import or open these en masse? I have tried SolidWorks, ProE Wildfire, and Rhinoceros.

Along with the .igs files i recieved some .log files that show up as belonging to ProE but i cant open them. I dont know what the limit is to how much info you can open at once. Does anyone know of a way?

thanks,
srkangas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've exported IGES files from SW assemblies, and then reimported them as an assembly with all parts included. You can also do the same with parasolid format.

Perhaps the person who exports the files can do so in a similar assembly way?

Not sure if that's what you're hoping for.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

im not sure if i can get ahold of the folks who exported these. what i have is many IGES files just sitting in a folder.

If these parts belonged in an assembly together then that person should've exported the assembly which would take the parts along in the process.

I have an extremely large assembly with multiple subs in Pro/E and have exported the upper level assembly to Step. Then import it to SolidWorks and it works without any problems placing parts where they belong. Sounds like to me the person just exported piece parts.

One more thing, are you prompted to open parts or assemblies?

i dont think there is anything which relates these parts to one another. the folder contains files with the extension .out.log.1
there are identical files with the .igs and the .out.log.1 extensions.

for example there would be both

frog.igs
and
frog.out.log.1
in the same folder and nothing else
the out.log.1 files are called ProE versioned files
I don't know which point you are talking about being prompted at... When I hit open I can pick assembly or part or whatever, and I select iges.

thanks for the input guys

I tried PS exchange, but the main question is how do I import all files at once? The same problem I am having with all of the other programs is that they do not let me open more than one file at a time.
How do you make an assembly without adding each part one by one?
thanks

If you are dealing with IGES files, there may well be 'issues' with healing, gaps, etc, so you may WANT
to check these one at a time.

srkangas said:
the main question is how do I import all files at once?
Short answer is that you cannot. Even if you open an assy file, it will open its part files one at a time, sequentially.

As Heckler said, it sounds like you have just piece parts, but try importing/opening the largest iges file in hopes that it is the main assy.

If they are all piece parts you may be SOL ... unless you can rebuild the assy yourself.

Dont worry about the out.log.1 files ... they are just a log file created by Pro/E to show what happened during the iges export.

Good Luck.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[smile] Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have [smile]

In Windows, have you simply tried to Ctrl-Select the files you wish to import? I seem to remember doing this in the past, and it working just fine. I had a bus model to open, which was an IGES file from a ProE shop. I think there were only about 350 files. I blocked everything, and came back an hour later and the files were all opened in SW.

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

MadMango
Yes, you can select a group of part files to import/open, but they will be opened sequentially, not all at the same time & they will not build themselves into an assy ... which is what srkangas was hoping for.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[smile] Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have [smile]

You can do this if you have SW Office 2004, which has the task scheduler. Batch import all the iges files. That will convert them all. Now that they are in SW format you can open the folder containing the SW part files in Windows Explorer and shift select them all. Drag and drop the files into an open session of SW. This will open all of them. Now from the SW pull down menu hit tile vertically to see them all.

Should work

Daniel

Reading more..I see people talking about Assy's, but not from Scott. I appologize if that is what you were asking for Scott because this would not help you out in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back