Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can overheated glass filled nylon "shed" it's glass fibers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgallup

Automotive
May 9, 2003
US
I have a customer returned part that has clearly been overheated. The strange thing is that when I cut it open everything is covered in what appear to be glass fibers. I have never seen this before. The nylon 66 30% GF bobbin has been melted in places but I've never seen thousands of fibers come out of similar parts. But I don't know where else they could come from. What do you think?
2_jgsoi4.jpg

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems that I am seeing strands mainly in the upper right corner of the picture that you provided . Are those strands fiberglass in composition?

Glass fibers have no ductility, which means that they do not yield when bent and they will behave like microscopic springs that are held in place by the resin around them. Nylon will drop to a fairly low viscosity above its melting point, and this will allow the fibers to spring out from the surface. Glass fibers are just very small diameter glass rods.

chicopee said:
It seems that I am seeing strands mainly in the upper right corner of the picture that you provided . Are those strands fiberglass in composition?
That's copper wire in the upper right corner.

The nylon is not burned but it did do some plastic flow, not sure if it really reached the melting point but close.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back