Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can SCH160 SS316L piping with a design pressure of 235bar under 65 Deg C condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansenhanh

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2020
AU
Hi Everyone

I am working on a project where the design temperature is 65 deg C and design pressure is at 235bar

I can find on ASME the flange to be used for my requirement is 2500# flange under 65 deg C at design pressure 235bar.

However, I fail to find similar information on the piping schedule.

I would like to know what is the piping thickness(SCH160 or XXS)to fulfill this requirement.

Appreciate if anyone can point me to any ASME standard stating this.

Thank you very much in advanced!

Hansen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One possible design code, most likely the most suited one, is ASME B31.3. There are however other options depending on the application.

B31.3 provides guidances by means of requirements and formulas hoe the minimum required thickness can be calculated. Also for pipe.

It is strange to read you don’t know the design code. What’s your role in all this? And what is the application?

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Maybe this is not Process Piping at all.
The appropriate design code can be suggested if we knew what you are building.
So .. What are you building?

hansenhanh;

The piping design process is not as simple as finding an acceptable flange and then jumping to a pipe material and schedule!!

XL83NL gives good advice, You are probably bound by contract to design, construct, inspect and test your piping system in accordance with some type of piping code. ASME B31.1 and B31.3 are commonly invoked in contracts as the "Code of Record". EN 13480 is another....

Determining acceptable pipe wall thickness (which I believe is your goal) involves the evaluation of the entire system and factors that may be specific to your specific piping system. For example, your specific system require a corrosion allowance or will the piping undergo cold bending in the field, or will the piping require additional wall thickness where a relief valve is installed.... Will the piping sustain external pressure loading.???
[ignore][ignore][ignore][/ignore][/ignore][/ignore]
Google this site "determining piping wall thickness" and find the sections of the Codes that apply to you ....

"Teach a man to fish..."

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back