Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can someone help with an Ideas test? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toonrmy

Mechanical
May 1, 2009
US
Hey all,

I'm new her and this is my first post. But hopefully not my last if I get the job.

Can someone help me here. I am a Pro/E user (well some have said abuser) and I am trying to get a job using which uses Ideas. The job requirements said Ideas "or" other 3D modeling software but they sent me a test anyway. It's basically a terminology test I think but I don't know Ideas colors, symbols etc... but can someone help.

I've attached the test in word form.

Thanks if someone could help.

Toonrmy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey Toonrmy hadanyone given you any assistance with the test yet I am a ug designer it's been some years since touching SDRC can u help me. I'd like some help also.

Thanks warrengeezy not yet but I've only had it posted for awhile.

I don't know UG. I've used Pro/E for 12 years but never Ideas. Most of the questions are simple to the Ideas guys and some are common with most feature based systems. Have you seen the test attached? It seems as if there is data management built into Ideas which you don't get out of the box with Pro/E. Is this true?

What are you after?

I can get you some rough answers if you want. It will take a little bit. I can have you some answers by tomorrow if you want.

Thanks SDETERS,

Just the terminology I don't know. Some of the stuff that's common I know like what's a model file as apposed to a library. What I don't know is stuff like what a red and yellow node is in the model history. Stuff like that.

Toonrmy

the answers are below, but if you have never used i-deas it will show the 1st time you are asked to do anything in it. These questions are the easy part, i-deas is unique in the CAD world, even if u work like you would in any other cad system you will be hunting around for what to do. for simple parts i would say catia is even easier to use. I-deas generally has multiple ways of doing the same thing. knowing what the answers are to the questions will get you further but then you will also be expected to know more and perform right out of the box. understanding the fundamentals behind all these questions it what is key and w/o ever using the software it will be a challenge. I have seen and taught both people who get it quickly and some who use it for years that don't get it. so use the answers with caution.

1. What is the difference between a model file and a library? What is each used for?
Model file is the temporary working space, library is the storage space used to share data

2. In a part’s history tree, what does a red node mean? A yellow node?
Yellow node-usually a broken relationship of some kind but feature still created
Red node-failed feature because of any number of reasons, bad section, etc
3. Describe each of these options when putting an item into a library:
a. Keep to modify –created a new version in the library but u still retain the checked out status
b. Keep for reference–created a new version in the library but u do not retain the checked out status
c. Keep as copy–created a new version in the library but u retain the item but it has no relation to the item in the library
d. Do not keep–created a new version in the library and the item is removed from your model file

4. What is the difference between an item’s library version and its revision?
Which one can be specified by the user?
A version is created anytime a modified item is checked in(even if it’s just a update), the revision is what is enter but the user

5. Will I-deas allow two parts with different names but the same part number to be checked into the same project and library?
YES
6. If you delete a part from the workbench (the screen), is it deleted from the model file? From the library?
YES, it should give you a warning message
7. If you get an assembly from the library as reference-latest and change one of its parts to check-out (then modify that part), can you put that assembly back into the library?
No, not w/o changing the assembly to checked out 1st than checking it in
8. If you wanted to transfer drawing entities (lines, arcs, etc) from one I-deas drawing to another, what method(s) could you use?
If it on a windows based system crtl-c (copy) and crtl-v paste will work, not sure on unix. Other options are to create a symbol and export it then import it into the new drawing, exporting a cgm, picture file, iges, from the drawing them import it back into other drawing. I am sure there are a couple of other ways too, just more work
9. If you move a PART on the screen, this causes all unconstrained assembly instances of that part to also change orientation. (T or F) True

10. When a drawing of a part is retrieved from the library Rfl, under what status does the part come out of the library? Rfs

11. When you see an Rfl* on an item in manage bins, what does the * mean? What command must be used to get rid of the * ? generally it should be changed to check out and updated, but it also depends on the practices of the company if it has very strict revision control.

12. When you do an ‘Update in Library’ on a drawing of an assembly, what does it do to the drawing?
Make a new drawing that has the latest versions of the items driving it, drawing still needs to be checked out and updated to show changes
13. If you check out a part from a library, is it possible to check that same part back into a different library?
NO
14. If a part called ‘Bracket’ with part number 12345 already exists in Project1/Library1, can I check in a different part with that same name and number into that same project and library? How about into a different project and library?
No for the 1st question and Yes for the second
15. Describe what ‘Update from Library’ is used for.
To update an item in a model file to the latest version that is in the library

16. Describe what ‘Update In Library’ is used for.
To create a new version of an assembly or drawing that is related to the latest versions of the items driving it, either still needs to be checked out and updated to show changes

17. When sketching and constraining wireframe, what do these colors mean?
Green Wireframe: unconstrained
Yellow Wireframe: partially constrained
Blue Wireframe: fully constrained

Hello professionals

It would be grateful if someone could help me in I-deas TEST module which is linked with PULSE software for Analysing SOUND and VIBRATION TESTS.
Special thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back