Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can someone signpost me re manufacturing responsibility against missuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrouseII

Computer
Feb 26, 2018
GB
Hi.
I am designing a vehicle anti-theft device which I wish to manufacture mainly for UK market but also europe and possibly USA in small numbers.

In order to make it portal grinder resistant I wish to sandwich kevlar (Aramid) fibres in it so it would jam the grinder. A friend in BSI said I would be liable if a thief was injured in the process of trying to cut off the device.

Can anyone signpost me to a manufacturing guru/forum who could advise me on this crazy scenario?

Thanks

Grouse

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you would get sued if someone was injured... sad state of affairs, but unfortunately true.

Second, I don't think those fibers are going to do what you think they will do. Safety chaps work with chainsaws because the chain "grabs" the fibers and jams a wad into the moving mechanism... a grinder will simply wear them away rather than grab.

You need to come up with another plan altogether...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

So then if a thief breaks a window in a car, and gets injured on the sharp glass someone can be sued? Maybe they could try to but if the judge has even a small amount of common sense, it would be tossed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back