Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can text be placed in a Model vs Draw space? NX5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes.
Start the drafting application, but cancel out before creating a drawing.
Alternatively, you could "Insert -> Curve -> Text" in modeling, depending on your requirements.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

You could also use the PMI functions if you wish.

Many people still prefer to use text in modelling by backing out of the drafting application. Because you're working in 3D space you loose the valid assumption that drafting makes about which plane that the text may lie upon when you do this. You therefore need to be more careful about positioning your WCS before adding text in 3D space as it always lies on the XY plane.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

That's really a neat trick (creating text annotations on the model by first orienting the WCS, then canceling Sheet creation in the Drafting application...). Thanks!

If it is a model that has an existing sheet, you can 'turn off' the sheet to get back to the model. I think it is 'View -> Display sheet' in the menu (there is an icon for it too, if you look hard enough).

I've used this method before but I've got an error.

When your exploded view has already been made in drafting
and then you want to add new text (so Display sheet off - adding text - display sheet on),
it wouldn't add the text in the exploded view in drafting.

Someone has the same error and has a solution?

I don't recall getting that error, but couldn't you stay in the drawing and expand the view to add your text?

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

When you say error?

Anyway in drafting you'll find that as you add text it will always be view dependent. So you may want to add it in modelling and then make it model dependent. At that stage it will show up in all the views and you'll have to expand the view and select the text to make it view dependent in that view.

What I'm saying here is that the copy of the exploded view in modelling and the once taken when it is placed onto the drawing are two separate views. The explosion itself then is not view dependent but any text is.

You have three choices. You can create you text in model space before adding the exploded view to the drawing so that the text comes with the view. You can expand the view after you add it and manipulating WCS carefully try and add the text there. Lastly you can perform the finicky task of moving the text in and out of view dependencies in order to achieve you desired result now that you've got the views in place.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

By error I meant nx5 doesn’t do what I expected.

To Hudson, thanks for you replay. By trying this out, I founded another solution:

Instead of adding new text in drafting by turning off ‘display sheet’, it is possible to go to modeling and select a current text that is already in modeling, than copy and paste.
The new text will adapt in the view in drafting but it will not be selectable anymore.
To adapt the text, it is only possible in expand. Don’t move the text around at expand, this can produce a system error and the text will be lost. So move the text in modeling only.

That easy it is.

RobijnD,

I'm sure it sounds easy except that it probably won't be for the next person who picks up the model. If you want to understand it correctly then be mindful that text is always created as view dependent even if you do create it in 3D model space. The second thing that you have to know is that when you add a view to the drawing you are taking a copy of the view, so that if the text is view dependant in the model view you have two view dependant copies one in the drawing view and the other in model space. However if the text is moved from view dependant (which you can do using the "View Dependant Edit" tool) then you can manipulate it either by going the expand view route or in model space. Doing this before you add views is probably the easier way to go. Now having done and understood that you will also find that the model dependant text is visible in all drawing views or at least ones that display the layer containing your text, so the obvious solution is to move that text to a separate layer which you would display only in those views where you want it to appear.

It takes a bit of explaining but seconds to learn and grasp the understanding. Once you do you can create data that is at least maintainable for other users albeit with a slightly unconventional method. I don't expect what you're doing now is either recommended or guaranteed to work properly from one version to the next. If it is returning errors it sounds as if it might be unstable even a little anomalous, so I don't feel that you ought to trust the integrity of data created in such a way.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back