Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can we EDM Aluminium? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakes

Aerospace
Jul 6, 2001
IN
There is a lot of speculation about EDMing Al.Alloys. Shop floors resist doing EDM on Al.Alloys citing reasons of filter damage etc. Can somebody throw some light into this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never heard of filter "damage" but aluminum has a tendency to load up filters a little faster. Filters are cheap compared to the alternates to get the same results using other methods of manufacturing. We EDM Aluminum all the time without any major problems. Some minor problems include flushing and getting the spark gap just right. But these problem can be overcome with experience. Our wire edm guy says it cuts faster than steel but requires some fine tuning. Don't be afraid to try it just because of a lack of experience. Contract it out to someone else if your shop guys insist on their preconceived notions.

I have done this on a Charmilles Roboform. I got some help from the Charmilles with generator settings and it worked really well. If you talk to the machine manufacturer and get their assistance you will probably get a lot further with your people.

Thanks guys. But I've a question for moldcore. Tell me how does Al. load up the filters more than other metals? I presume 10 or 20 micron filters are used in EDM machines. So for the filters to get loaded up, Al has to produce larger size residues. If this is true, is there any method of reducing the particle size?

I'm not sure, but my guess is because aluminum has a much larger grain size than steel and also will float around the tank and be drawn into the filter easier. When you EDM steel most of the waste sinks to the bottom of the tank before it's drawn into the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back