Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can we repair our U-Stamped vessels in Illinois per API 510 in lieu of NBIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeevesme

Petroleum
Aug 7, 2011
US
We have always had our registered vessels repaired per NBIC because the company required it. However, they (the company) recently voided a lot of their standards because they no longer have the capacity to keep them up and they mostly just regurgitated the codes that were already used anyway. So, in light of that, I am looking into performing API 510 repairs on our Registered Vessels in lieu of NBIC. Right now we use API 510 to perform weld repairs on existing equipment that does not have a U-Stamp.

I previously thought that in my state (IL) a plant (chemical in this case) could perform a repair on a U-Stamped and Registered Pressure Vessel per API 510 so long as:
1-qualified welders were used
2-the repair contractor has an R stamp
3-the work was done per API 510
4-everything was documented
5-signed off by an API 510 Inspector

I came to that conclusion because of this excerpt:

(430 ILCS 75/) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Act.
"(4) Pressure vessels subject to internal corrosion
shall receive a certificate inspection every 3 years as required by rules and regulations of the Board. However, the standards of inspection and repair of pressure vessels in service by an owner-user authorized under Section 15 shall, at the option of the owner-user, be either (1) the applicable rules and regulations in the National Board Inspection Code, or (2) the applicable section in the American Petroleum Institute API-510, "API Recommended Practice for Inspection, Repair, and Rating of Pressure Vessels in Petroleum Refining Service".

However, now that I am looking into it further, I am getting more questions than I can find answers to. For example:

1-As a nested API 510 Inspector, am I considered the AI for the owner-user?
That document states to refer to "Section 15 of the Act" but I cannot seem to find Section 15 anywhere.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back