Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can we run the 360 volts, 50Hzs motor on 460volts 60Hzs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranaatul25

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2009
CA
i have 360 volts, 50Hzs, 3 KW motor,i want to run its on 460volts 60Hzs in canada can it be run this volts? if no, then what kind of modification require to run this motor.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The voltage that supplies the original V/Hz ratio is 360 x 6 / 5 = 432V. Using the 10% overvoltage safety margin we may go up to 432V x 1.1 = 475V
The standard supply voltage in Canada is 480V. 480V may saturate the motor and quickly burn t out.
Two points;
1> If your motor is actually the common 380V rather than 360V, you are safe up to 456V plus 10% or about 500V.
2< If you have a legacy 440V supply, you are OK but if you have 480V you should check that it does not go overvoltage with load changes on the grid.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

In addition to what Bill said, this might help:

faq237-1224

If your voltage is too high, the simplest solution would be to get a new motor, or put an autotransformer to buck the voltage down a little.

"An 'expert' is someone who has made every possible mistake in a very narrow field of study." -- Edward Teller

A general comment;
I note with interest that the new harmonized IEC voltage of 230/400V is a perfect V/Hz match with the North American standard 480V.
AS far as the V/Hz ratio is concerned, 400V IEC motors will now be a straight across conversion with 480V NEMA motors.
Loading issues must still be evaluated.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Or rewind them for the right voltage and frequency.

Would this be cost-effective for a typical 3 kW motor? I'm skeptical.

"An 'expert' is someone who has made every possible mistake in a very narrow field of study." -- Edward Teller

How old is this motor?

It may not be wise to run it at the 20% above it's design speed depending on the type of rotor. Is it a squirrel cage motor?

Regards . . .

Jim S. Nasby

I worked as an electromecanics in the -70s, and then it was common practice to use european 380V 50 Hz motors for machines built for export to USA running on the 440V 6o Hz.

Of course the speed will be 20% higher, but that is no problem for the motor.

Of course the speed will be 20% higher, but that is no problem for the motor.

Well that kinda depnds on the load doesn't it? Try this with a centrifugal pump load and expect your motor to either trip the overload relay or burn up. 20% more speed means more power - some loads have a quadratic or cubic power relationship with speed so even a small increase in speed leads to a significant increase in power.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back