Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can we use front drive line with rotating 180 degree at Rear side? What will be impact on mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shitalyog

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2009
IN
In one of project, it is recommonded to use front axle with rotating 180 degree & fit it to rear wheel side.
On front axle, decoupling target meets but what will be imoact on decoupling of powertrain mounts on rear side?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is electrical drive.Motor can be produce drive any direction.

I am lloking gor impact on powertrain mounts.
Im front unit, 2 mounts at front side & 1 at rear side of front axle.

While rotating front unit through 180 degree & fitted at rear axle, 1 mount at front side & 2 at rear side of rear axle.

What will impact on mounts? Will it be able to give isolation same as front axle?

"On front axle, decoupling target meets but what will be imoact on decoupling of powertrain mounts on rear side?"

I don't understand what you mean. Explain to the rest of us what The Big Picture is. What are you trying to do, what are you trying to build, and why?

I am going to ASSume that you are using a rigid front axle and front differential assembly such as that found on heavy-duty trucks with 4 wheel drive (for example, Ford F350 Super Duty). If not ... explain.

Front axles are designed to have steering mechanisms. What do you want to do with that, if you want to put this axle on the rear of a vehicle? Are you designing for 4 wheel steering?

Front axles can have locking hubs to allow them to be decoupled, whether manually or automatically. If that's what your axle has, its function will be retained. If you unlock the rear hubs then you're no longer driving those wheels. If those are the only wheels you're driving, you are now stuck without being able to move. It won't break anything ... you're just not going anywhere. You can get axles without locking hubs that cannot be uncoupled.

Front axles on that type of truck generally have the differential off to one side, in order to clear the powertrain in the middle of the front of the vehicle. When moved to the rear, that's going to put the drive shaft off to the side, and that's going to necessitate having the powertrain off to the side (and this is ASSuming that the chassis allows for this to be done). Is that what you want? Is the asymmetrical weight distribution going to be a problem? If the powertrain up front is not in the middle, is clearance for front wheel steering going to be a problem?

And yes, the rotation will be the wrong way 'round unless you also flip the axle upside down, which they're not designed to do. Things that will be wrong: vent hose too low, fill plug too high, steering knuckle geometry wrong, probably loading the steering knuckles the wrong way.

Your post that you wrote while I was writing indicates that my ASSumption was wrong. Explain, exactly, what it is that you are attempting to do. What parts. What assemblies. Be specific. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I have an inkling that you are trying to use a front "electric drive unit" - the motor and gear-reduction assembly - not an "axle".

Why do you want to turn it around - why not simply move it to the rear and preserve its orientation?

The rest of us have the serious disadvantage of not knowing exactly which power unit you are attempting to do this with. Some of them might not care. Others may be designed for the oil splash lubrication to happen in a certain way, and spinning it backwards could conceivably get you in trouble. Driving the car in reverse (spinning the powertrain backwards) for a few seconds at a time is not an issue, but hours at a time, might be. Or maybe it's not a problem. It depends on the internal design of the specific unit in question.

Yes, center sections/differentials are typically designed to function in both front and rear positions by rotating about Y&Z axes. Axle manufacturers typically sell a variety of wheel-end components to support various centerline offsets and steering/fixed, along with a variety of differential covers and other parts to support a variety of fill/drain and vent port positions.

As to the effect on suspension, if the bracket-axle mounting is stout and designed to properly accommodate the range of driveline angles encountered there's no issue. This is a small exercise in geometry but in the overall scheme of vehicle development not particularly challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back