Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can we useda flat plate, with shear walls as LFRS in seismic zone 4 (UBC 97)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zafarabbas

Structural
Jun 3, 2014
GB
Recently i am working to design a high-rise building in a seismic zone 4 (UBC 97) or Seismic catogrey D for which we are considering using a flat plate, with shear walls as LFRS, but have some concerns about the performance of flat plates during seismic events.are flat plates typically used in seismic areas?is there a text book or case study available that discusses their performance during recent seismic

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't remember the exact code limitations but I think that it goes something like this:

- Flat plates to column joints don't perform especially well under seismic. If you're going to use this system, evaluate the joint carefully under the expected drift and force demands.

- Your lateral system is likely shear walls only (no dual system). As such, there may be a requirement for performance based design.

The greatest trick that bond stress ever pulled was convincing the world it didn't exist.

You mean like Steel Plate Shear Walls? They are in the last few versions of the IBC and detailed in the latest edition of AISC Seismic Design Manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back