Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you buy used

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyK

May 22, 2009
I would like to start my own business and need a copy of Catia with the advanced built in FEA GPS, GAS ect. Are there any outlets for people like me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't think so, but if I were in your shoes I would ask for a good deal, it's the buyers market today, you would be suprised what deals you can make if the timing is right.

The timing is better at the end of the fiscal year, but I don't think anyone would refuse a decent sale, at this point. You should expect to receive a discount of up to 30% for a license in the $18-22K range. Lower end licenses should be no less than 15% off of list price. You won't get any discounts on ALC, however.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Thank you for the replies if someone owns a licence why can't they sell it?

Also, the sales lady would only offer me 10% off, any advise?

It can be sold, if one knows how to do it. It must be done within the context of a corporate structure. (selling of divisions and assets) Not something that you are going to come across very often. What would be the advantage for someone to sell, anyways?

I don't know what package you are trying to purchase, but it must be something in the $10-12K range. I bought a bundle once in that price range, and they only gave me 10%. Either push harder, or wait until the end of the year. That's my advice. (and my experience)

I was hoping there was an outlet for say a failing autoparts supplier. The package I was looking at was ~25K I will get back with the salesperson and see what we can work out.

Failing businesses can liquidate their assets, and if they sold a portion of their business - say the CAD department - any assets associated with that operating division would be legally owned by the new owner, and existing contracts (i.e. - ALC) would have to be honored.

But you can't just sell it as a stand alone license. The answer is, because it's in the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back