Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can you run 4-20mA analog & 125VDC contact sensing circuits as shielded prs in same multipaired 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdn2004

Electrical
Jan 27, 2007
US
I know the conventional design is to run digital signals in one cable, and analog signals in another cable. I question why this is so if the individual pairs are shielded?

In our particular case we have some signals we want to pick up from about 500' away and there is a cable with individually shielded twisted pairs already in place. These signals are either just contact sensing - no power or outputs, or 4-20mA. I suppose the concern is induction onto the 4-20mA from on/off....?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes digital and analog in that same cable over that distance will likely prove to be problematic. Don't do it. The shielding is only for capacitive, electric effects, it is useless against magnetic effects.

If you don't care if the analog values hop around during switching of limit switches or whatever, then you could probably 'get away with it'.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Agree with Keith. The switching transients associated with 125 V dc control circuits can be substantial. Twisting helps some, but it makes sense to avoid self-inflicted problems when there are so many other problems out there to deal with.

Best approach is to put the 4-20 mA level stuff in a separate metallic conduit.

500' feet is a long parallel run. Your looking for trouble. However, your translation to output can be effectively filtered with many controllers. Mind code as cables within a conduit must not be from seperate sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back