Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can you study Composite Design by Off-campus/Distance Learning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetragrammaton

Aerospace
Nov 27, 2002
DE
Hi all :)

My background is that I work primarily in the Automotive and Aerospace disciplines for the last 20years, so I'm 40ish ;). Mostly I work on product design with high end CAD progams(Unigraphics NX/Catia/IDEAS etc). My qualification if is originally from Australia and is an Associate Diploma of Engineering which is something immediately below a Degree; as recognised in the UK.

So after all this time I feel I need/would like a change and feel that Composites is where I'd like to go.

I would like to know from those of you who have done this; is it possible to take a (or better still qualify in) Composites Engineering course by Off-campus/Distance Education (OC/DE) study modes?

I am contacting universities who specialize in Composite Engineering to ask them as one way to find out. I have spent the whole weekend googling and reading. I find there are some insitution out there that off some level of training via distance education. However I need to understand how well recognised Certifications from them are?

I found that UD & UW (Delaware & Washington) have some things but not alot. I have found that University of Plymouth, UK have a BEng of Mech. Eng with Composites but am waiting to speak with someone to know if it is available by Dist Ed/Off-campus study modes. I have a suspicion it will probably not be.

In the meantime I am doing as much reading as possible and have found some extremely useful websites. Although i would like to do something more formal in the way of study. The reason I am looking for a Distance Ed/Off-campus study is to my location and family. Not to mention I could not afford to take minimum 3 years off full-time to study a BEng degree no matter how much i'd like to (would be a financial struggle with a family).

Also thanks to forums like this which are also an invaluable source if information. Although I get a little lost trying to follow some things ;) so much detail and so much to learn, all good.

I have already checked: thread327-189160 thanks very much.

So many thanks in advance if you can help a fellow engineer out, especially one who is keen to join the Composites community :)

Best regards.

Best Regards

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

David,

Perhaps you clarify a few things.

-Are you looking to obtain a bachelor's degree first?
-Do you want to just learn composites without a degree?
-How strong are you in mechanics of materials?

There are several options for a masters degree online. I actually like distance learning a lot. But I don't think you can get an undergrad degree that way. If you are looking to obtain an bachelors degree, I don't that you will get a "whole lot" of exposure to composites anyway.

Aside from that, are you looking to be more practical or research oriented? Academia approaches are very different than practical analysis.

If you clarify those items, it would help to give you better feedback.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for the reply.

In short:
I would like to attain a bachelor degree; if possible. I think it depends alot on the institution as to how they consider my current qualifications.

As for 'just leaning composites without a degree' in a fashion, yes, however let me clarify. I would be ok to study composites without a degree initially. Although I would want subjects that would count as merits towards a degree or exemptions later..... I don't ask for much eh? :)

How strong am I in my mechanics of materials - to be perfectly blunt: I haven't used any of that since I graduated in '99 unfortunately although I don't mind brushing up again.

As for a Masters Degree, I am not sure how I would go with it, I would like it. I think my preferred plan to tackle this would be to do it in stages. I think rather than go straight for the master unless the respective institution would suggest that.

Personally I also like distance learning as it give me a lot of flexibility with my family/time.

Essentially I primarily want to gain, practical knowledge I can apply in Automotve/Aerospace disciplines. I thought of these areas as I currently work in these fields so have the benefit of experience here. If I (ideally) can get certification or higher that would be great.

So in summary, distance learning, practical application of composites in Aero/Auto disciplines, recognised certified course(s).

Hope this is a little better clarification so if you are able to make some further suggestions I would be grateful.

Best regards

Best Regards

David

I don't know how it works internationally, but in the US, I don't think you can get an undergrad (i.e. bachelors) via distance. That option would be for masters.

So this would really limit your options. I am not sure how you would move forward until you obtain a bachelors, but perhaps there are options internationally or other members may have suggestions?

What do you want to study in composites? Manufacturing/Processing or Structural Analysis? I am not sure if there is really a pure "Design" position for composites (i.e. no special training for designers anymore).

Also, for a bachelors degree, I don't know that it is that important to be "specialized" in composites. Most schools have introductory courses, but you will only be scratching the surface. My point is that I don't think the school is that important at this level. If you were going into research or wanted to stay in academia, I think school choice is probably more important.

When you actually start working, you will find academia and industry treat composites quite differently. So again, I don't know how important school choice is. Also, if you plan on going down the structural analysis path, a solid understanding of metallic analysis is highly recommended. You can also do both in parallel, but I personally feel you need to be pretty good with metallics before you can be good at composites.

Brian

Tetragrammaton,

I concur with espcomposites. It's tough to do a BSME online because there are several lab classes. Having the 2 year degree helps, but you may need to look at being on someone's campus to finish the BS. As for a composites program a BS in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering is more general than that. You might take some electives that are focused on composites, I know that Kansas State University offereed them, but I couldn't fit them in my schedule, though I wish I could have. So look for an ME or Aerospace Eng program that does composites research.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Hi All,

Thanks for your input and advice on this.

I think now looking over what you are all saying that for me, in my situation and position; it would be better for me to focus on practical application courses/study.

Since I am well into my career, 40ish ;) I do not have an overwhelming desire to run back to uni to start over again.

I do not want to focus on research/academia stream. Therefore what I see is best for me is to gain a solid foundation from a manufacturing/process point of view that gives me the knowledge as a designer.

So I guess I am still searching for courses on line, just not a BE/BS degree type. Although I would take a module from a degree course, if it were possible to do it online. However like KirbyWan pointed out you have to be on campus. I expect to be involved in the practical aspects of the study etc.

Still I find a lot of good information through the net/self reading though I would really like a little more 'formal/group' study.

So many thanks for you help again and if any more thoughts spring to mind please by all means let me know. Nothing is to crazy to try, it can only lead to know more :)

Best Regards

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back