Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Canada EIT transfer process for Texas? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrose98

Electrical
Feb 3, 2024
CA
Hello, I have been doing some research into my new job opportunity in texas. Currently at the moment I have been out of university for a couple years and been an EIT with my provincial board. I notice there is an agreement between texas and canada for P.Eng and PE, however I cannot find any information regarding my current situation as an EIT here in Canada. Can anyone provide some clairity on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's a matter of contacting the Texas association and seeing what they require.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Generally speaking, Texas only requires that an EIT have graduated from an engineering or science program approved by the board and have passed the FE exam. I'm not sure if you take the FE exam in Canada or not. If you do, it would be as simple as sending your transcript from college and the exam results verification to the board as part of your application. If you haven't taken the FE, you would likely have to take it to be certified as an EIT.

MRose98: you appear to be in Newfoundland. Here in Alberta, you can write the NCEES FE exam in either Calgary or Edmonton multiple times per year. There are quite a few oilfield professionals that work both in Alberta and Texas, so APEGA started offering the exams here for Canadian P.Eng.'s to get the American P.E.

As I recall from an APEGA presentation, the pass rate for Canadian professionals taking the exam was quite high: over 80% passed on the first try.

Our former Registrar, Neil Windsor (from the rock!) did a lot of work with NCEES in the early 2000s to establish reciprocity.

When i moved overseas as an EIT, i waited a couple years and applied for P.Eng through my provincial board.

Took a while for my P.Eng application to process. they were curios why i was applying for canadian p.eng, as i was based in another country. but i did tick the box for 1 year canadian experience, so i was all good and was granted P.Eng.

once i had my P.eng from canada, it made applying in my new local jurisdiction much easier than starting fresh as an EIT. there was a streamlined process for getting local P.E. , as i was already a canadian P.Eng

I attempted this a few years back. TX would do an easy comity application with the Canadian provinces but with a catch: it was a temporary license meant to be used on a project by project basis so long as I did not have work authorization in the US (NAFTA, Green card etc). That didn't work for me as I was seeking a permanent license. I'm not sure that there's any great benefit to pursuing EIT status in the US. I'd just start chipping away on your US PE. And a great place to start that is by building yourself an NCEES record which will, in time, include:

1) Equivalency evaluation of your Canadian education (I assume). Ideally via the Washington Accord rather than an expensive, case by case evaluation.

2) Record of your having passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.

3) Record of your having passed the PE exam when the time comes.

4) Your work history and references.

Working the US, you often need licensure in a lot of states. So best to get it done by the book per the usual US process I feel. The NCEES record facilitates that by helping you to build what, effectively, becomes a living comity application that you can use all of the US (and some provinces). That, particular given how early in your career and licensing journey you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back