Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CANADA Plasma Cutting Pipes - Governing Bodies and Applicable Codes and Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanpark

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2013
US
Hi All,

My friend wants to buy a 6 axis Plasma Cutting CNC Machine for his fab shop. The machine can cut 2 to 24 inch pipes. He is located in Vancouver B.C. He tells me his target market is the mining and oil and gas industry. I am sure sawmills, utilities and pipeline companies may use his services. He has no intention of welding pipes, he just wants to cut them.

I asked him to look into a few things before making such a large investment, north of $200k.

1) His company is not registered with the BC Safety Authority (Boilers Branch) as having the proper qualifications to produce products under ASME B31.1 or B31.3 and that he may want to register with them first and this would require an extensive QC program. Thoughts?

2) He should make sure he can meet the specifications for joint fitup per ASME B31.3 for instance. That part is a no brainer.

3) He should find out if there are any other codes and specifications, governing bodies, etc that he would have to possibly become a member. I am not quite familiar with the pipeline and oil/gas industry and if there are any other codes outside of ASME B31.1 and B31.3. Thougths?

Best regards!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nobody cares how you cut it.
Hacksaw or torch it.
Just bevel it nice and measure it twice
before you touch it.

Joint fit up is not included in the design codes, although there are typical standard fabrication tolerances and practices.

you must get smarter than the software you're using.

I'm puzzled how this will become a paying business...as to the rules, it's a metal fabrication operation- as long as the material being cut can be tracked and its markings or traceability retained, the people doing the assembly and welding will be able to use it.

I can see a multiaxis machine being of use for cutting nozzle openings in rolled vessel shells, but just to cut and bevel pipe? Sounds like whacking a fly with a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back