Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Canadian standard for using a telehandler with a work platform attachment has been rejected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkintoleaves

Civil/Environmental
May 28, 2012
CA
I am currently using a telehandler from Gradall, with the Gradall work platform attachment in Ontario for lifting construction workers and tools to work locations. I have been told by the ministry of labour that a gradall is a fork lift and forklifts cannot be used on construction sites to lift personnel. However, they said if i can call the Gradall something else, and get it to fall into CAN3-B354.1-m82, B354.2 or B354.3 or B354.4 or CSA C225-m88, that it can be used. The issue that I am running into is that when i read these regs they all either clearly don't apply or the work platform itself doesn't meet standards (usually because it needs platform controls, or a platform emergency stop). However when i visit sites like Genie lifts they state their work platform is certified under B335, which makes its a fork lift, and that wouldn't be allowed on a construction site. B335 even states that rough terrain fork lift trucks are made for use on construction sites, but O.Reg 213/91 section 107 states forklifts cannot be used on construction sites... This really seems odd, because one says you can, and the other says you can't!

Does anyone know a way i can continue to use this Gradall and Gradall platform on construction sites?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back