Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get grey text in title block to turn black

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanDH

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2010
US
Hi I am using SW2010

problem: I am trying to make the text black in the title of the attached document

first proposed solution:

1. open document
2. right click whitespace on page > select Edit Sheet Format
3. double click text instance i would like to change
4. on pop-up Formatting box, click on the icon, looks like an A with colors below - description: Color; Applies color formatting to selected text
5. select desired color
6. select OK

The result of this procedure is success for all colors EXCEPT black. When I select black, the text becomes or stays grey, instead of black. I would like the text to be black, and am confused by this result.

Can someone help me understand the cause of this unexpected result, and suggest an alternative solution that may achieve the intended result?

thx,
edh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was able to type new text and see it black. I think the gray indicates it is a property linked field. Does it print black?

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Check the Color Display icon on Line Format Toolbar It will switch between Layer or line specified and Sketch Entity colors for over underdefined. If you can place format_TXT as new layer you can swap the colors in Layer Format but on the Drawing you sent I was able to switch it to black with no issues.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

It prints grey, hardly readable. Don't believe it's property linked..

mjcole, didn't fully follow your suggestion BUT I did get the text black with the Line Color icon on the Line Format Toolbar. So I'm all set, thanks.

Having found that, I played around a little more and the behaviour just seems so bizarre. Numbering the two places to affect text color of a note: (1) "Color" icon on text formatting popup box (double click text), (2) Format Toolbar > click Line Color icon after selecting text.

they interact, for me, in the following way:

If selection (1) is set to anything EXCEPT black, it is respected and selection (2) is ignored.
If selection (1) IS set to black, selection (2) is respected and selection (1) is ignored.

Is this how it behaves for everyone, or is there something amiss for me? Is that an intentional effect? A narrow view of something with a broader rationale? An unintended effect of myopic programming? What is the purpose behind offering separate paths to affect a single change, that interact in complex, competing, illogical ways? Sure I'm just venting .......... but I really just don't understand.... what could possibly be the purpose or advantage to the structure of color selection outlined above?

and above all thanks again

Well Thank you Eng-Tips for loosing my post.

When Color icon is active system standard colors from Options > Colors are used

When not the Layer or indiv line color settings are displayed. In my previous post I indicated you could make a Layer and add items to it then set Layer color to see the changes. Colors - Text indicates default color for notes. and is what the Drawn By: REV and other items will show normally.

I'm hitting post don't know if signature is included or not and Frankly I just don't care it's better than loosing posts. Suggestion for everyone using this site. Write posts in a text editor then copy paste.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back