Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot get output from my Eurotherm controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

divine7

Nuclear
Jul 12, 2011
GB
I am using a Eurotherm 3504 controller to controll a valve based on input pressure.

See details:
PV – Pressure transmitter input (0-5 bar), 4-20mA (i/p to controller)
Module 1 – Remote setpoint (0-5 bar), 4-20mA (i/p to controller)
Module 2 – Analogue output of valve actuators position to control room (0-100%), 4-20mA (o/p from controller)
Module 3- Analogue output to valve actuators (0-100%), 4-20mA (o/p from controller).

---Proportional action with gain of 40%/bar

(I interprete this to mean ...a 1 bar change in pressure results in 40% valve movement when proportional acts on its own. This gives a gain of 2 and PB of 50% I believe).

---Integral action time – 300 secs
---No derivate

Problem: I do not get any response in the output. Modules 2&3 are both reading their lowest vales – 4mA as output, which corresponds to 0% open in the actuators.

I am using a set point of 2.5 bar (midway of the 0-5bar pressure transmitter scale). When I vary the i/p current I am using to simulate the PV, (4-20mA), I do not get get any output in the valves.

Have I got my interpretation of the PB wrong?

I wish I could post screen captures here.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bfb1ade9-3d75-43f1-b7c4-216c9e20ad2c&file=Technical_Query.doc
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"I wish I could post screen captures here."

You can; the button below does that
image_upload.tif_zyx9ag.gif

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Output driven in one direction off scale is a symptom of the wrong control action.

Is the existing control action reverse or direct? Have you tried changing to the opposite control action?

Hello,

I have been able to get the valves to move, thanks to the explanation below

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proportional Band: The amount of change in the controlled variable, expressed in engineering units, required to move the actuator from one end of its stroke to the other.

%PB: Percent proportional band is the proportional band expressed as a percentage of the sensor span.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had previously set the PB as 2.5%, instead of 2.5 eng units.

All is fine now.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back