Cannot Locate Content Center Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

21Pom

Mechanical
May 1, 2010
AU
Hi All,

I have my Inventor Pro 2011 loaded on two separate computers, and as far as I'm aware, identically installed.

However, when I place Nuts, Bolts etc.in an assembly on one computer, when I try to open the file on the other computer I get the 'Resolve Link' error because it cannot locate the items.

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When Content Center files are generated, they go to a separate location designated by either your Project File or Application Options. You will have to either share this directory between the two computers or when you place CC items use the Custom option to place the unique content into your workspace.

Hi mflayler,

One thing I forgot to mention before, but will probably help me, is that all my project files are kept on a memory stick so I just move it between computers. Having never worried about this in the past, I had a look at the Projects section and note in the Folder Options/Content Center Files, that I can change the location so I'm going to see if it will go to my memory stick.

The designated letter I use for the stick is always the same, 'L', so it should work, I'll get back to you.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

Hi mflayler,

OK, I've had a look in the options area and changed the location of my Templates and Content Center Files to look at my USB stick and it seems to work just fine. I'm always cautious about changing things like this in case I screw up and have to re-load a program and associated files, lets hope I've got it right.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

Dave,

I would be VERY cautious about EVER using a USB key for Inventor files. You would be better off using Dropbox, Autodesk 360, or something else that syncs files across machines. The write speed of USB keys and the drive letter issues are something you just should avoid. If it works for you, that's fine I suppose, but you have been cautioned.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the follow up regarding the use of a USB stick. I've had it in use for approx. 18 months and not had an issue, though to err on the safe side I do an alternate backup to each computers hard drive. Now looking at the two programs you suggest, I've heard of Autodesk 360, so I'll do a bit of research on the two offered.

I'm getting on in years and am not up to speed with all the tech stuff, should have retired a couple of years ago, but my Son-In Law has different ideas about that.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back