Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cannot use DISCTINCT command when combining to columns in my query????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKEJ3131

Bioengineer
Mar 1, 2007
US
Hello,

i am having a problem getting unique records when combining two columns in my query. Can the DISTINCT command be used with the CONCAT command or the || || operator. I am using MS Query and when i enter in my query with DISTINCT, it says "DISTINCT is not a SELECTed operator" and then it wont work. Can someone please help me out here. This is my query that i am using that works. This query returns a list of users by their last name then a comma then their first name, and then it sorts the names.

SELECT GE_USER.LNAME||', '||GE_USER.FNAME
FROM MSA.DE_ACCOUNT_EXEC DE_ACCOUNT_EXEC, MSA.DE_DEAL_HDR DE_DEAL_HDR, MSA.GE_USER GE_USER, MSA.GE_USER_JOB GE_USER_JOB
WHERE DE_DEAL_HDR.DEAL_ID = DE_ACCOUNT_EXEC.DEAL_ID AND GE_USER.GAB_ID = DE_ACCOUNT_EXEC.GAB_ID AND GE_USER.GAB_ID = GE_USER_JOB.GAB_ID AND ((GE_USER_JOB.JOB_ID=1))
ORDER BY UPPER(CONCAT(GE_USER.LNAME,GE_USER.FNAME))

Now when i go to add distinct in that qwuery, it will not work.

SELECT DISTINCT GE_USER.LNAME||', '||GE_USER.FNAME
FROM MSA.DE_ACCOUNT_EXEC DE_ACCOUNT_EXEC, MSA.DE_DEAL_HDR DE_DEAL_HDR, MSA.GE_USER GE_USER, MSA.GE_USER_JOB GE_USER_JOB
WHERE DE_DEAL_HDR.DEAL_ID = DE_ACCOUNT_EXEC.DEAL_ID AND GE_USER.GAB_ID = DE_ACCOUNT_EXEC.GAB_ID AND GE_USER.GAB_ID = GE_USER_JOB.GAB_ID AND ((GE_USER_JOB.JOB_ID=1))
ORDER BY UPPER(CONCAT(GE_USER.LNAME,GE_USER.FNAME))

Am i doing something wrong here?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back