Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Create Assembly Dwg. in 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screwhead

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2003
US
I'm brand new to Solidworks working with a second hand version of 2003. While attempting to do the assembly exercise in the on line tutorial, I was directed to "open a new assembly" from the tutorial tab. I can only assume that there should be an "assembly" Icon along with the "part" Icon under the "Tutorial" tab. There is not! What could be wrong? Is something missing in the installation? The "part" operation seems to work fine except that it takes several attempts to grab a line and then it move hesitatingly. I'm using Win XP Pro and a Athlon +1700 (1.5 Gig) processor.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure about the assembly icon in the tutorial tab but it's there with part and assembly icons in the default tab so you would think it should be there.

The hesitant response in part mode could be a video card issue. We have about 20 or so seats of SW. There are several different video cards depending on what came with which lot of computers IT bought. Mine doesn't have any issues but I know of at least 3 in drafting that do have similar video card issues. There are other differences also, mine is on windows 2000 and their's is on XP. IT thinks there's some compatability issues between SW, the video card drivers and the OS. The verdict is still out though.

Living in my own 3D world

Thanks for your reply Spinnerman but I'm a little confused (more than a little, actually). When I Click FILE then NEW, the "New Solidworks Document" window opens with two tabs; "Templates" and "Tutorial". When you referr to "Default" do you mean "Templates"? If so, the Assembly Icon is missing there also. What does this indicate?
You could be right about the video card as I'm working with a cheap "built in". However, the drawing was simply a rectangle which I would hardly expect to stress out even the cheapest card. What do you think? I've been reading a lot of strings about video cards and the opinions are endless but it seems that if one is serious the safest bet is Quadro 500 or ATI Fire GL T2. GeForce4 seems rather controversial. Your opinion? Thanks for your help.

Check where your solidworks is installed. You should have something similar to this.
C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\data\templates\Assembly.asmdot

This is your assembly template (not the tutorial, but the "default templates" template)
the tutorial is located in:
C:\Program Files\Solidworks\Lang\English\Tutorial\assem.asmdot

If you do have the file:
From Solidworks go to tools>options>default templates> and then browse for that file in the assemblies box.

If you don't have the file, try re-installing SW.

Good luck.

Thanks, Shaggy, for your very explicit instructions. Very helpful but here's the problem: Using MS Explorer I find both "part" and "assembly" files along with "drawing" and "marker", exactly where you suggested. However, when I go to tools>options>default templates there is only the "part" box and no "assembly" box available. The "File Locations" selection also reveals the locations you suggested for "data" and "tutorial" which presumably reflect the location of the "part" file. What's going on here?

Screwhead

Yes templates. All I can think of is to check the file name to make sure the extension is correct and there's no eroneous punctuation such as an extra dot. SW won't see it if the extension isn't correct. I've accidentally messed up an ext before only to find out after I couldn't find a file I knew was there.

Living in my own 3D world

There should be a box and a browse button for parts, assemblies, and drawings. If there isn't, I don't know what to say. Maybe re-installing.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back