Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't create distance mate face to plane in assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathey

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2004
US
I've created a few planes in an assembly, and I want to have a face of a component "X" distance away from the plane...if I enter the distance, SW says I've over defined it. If I let it ride (accept the default distance, rebuild), the "what's wrong" says "planar face and plane are not the correct distance apart. Actual distance is 17, desired is 19" duh...

SW 2005 SP3.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are getting an "overdefined" error, then it is because one or more of you existing mates are conflicting with the distance mate you are trying to make.

After creating the distance mate, go to the Mates section & sequentially suppress each mate which is shown in conflict to see which one(s) it is.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

- to constrain a rectangular object to another rectangular object requires 3 contraints...in this case the distance mate is the first, followed by 2 other mates to control it in all 3 directions...I can do the distance mate to another component, but not to a created plane.

- only the first component is fixed...

Check to make sure the "created plane" is absolutely parallel to the face you are trying to dimension to.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back