Can't create section view thru solid labeled NONE on history tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbtruckers

Computer
Jan 23, 2008
US
Hi all,

I have a CATIA (v5r20) assembly that requires a couple of native SolidWorks 2008 components. I saved the SW components as STEP203 files, opened them in CATIA and gave them proper names. The components were then added to the assembly and a new drawing was created.

The problem I'm having occurs when I try to create a section view. I get an error stating that a section can't be created through the "NONE" solid. One of the branches on the history tree of each of the new components reads as "NONE" instead of something like "BREP solid with voids". I've also tried STEP214 files with the same result.

How can I import my SolidWorks file in a way that CATIA won't label it as "NONE"?
I've been able to perform this action before - the "BREP ..." reference from above comes from an older (most likely v5r18) file that is very similar.

Thanks for your help,
Brad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you checked the report file in Catia after importing the step file? Is the import OK? Have you tried with step import optimization? (tools/options)

Brad,

Yeah as Azrael says, It's most likely that the bodies may have been imported as surface bodies or may have gaps in them.

You can access Import Options during File Open by selecting STEP as file type and you'll see an [Options] button become available in the file open dialog where you can select different options on how you want SolidWorks to handle the import of the STEP files and try to solidify them.

I don't have screenshots handy because I'm not at my own PC but since you've already imported the bodies, you should go to the individual parts of the Assembly and open in Part Mode to use the Import Optimization.
In most cases this will Fix any gaps or highlight the ones that may need manual modification. SolidWorks is extremely adept at repairing imported Bodies. You may also want to try IGES or Parasolid Formats and see which gives you the best results.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ Shweep
= ProE = SolidWorks

Yeah as Azrael says, It's most likely that the bodies may have been imported as surface bodies or may have gaps in them.

You can access Import Options during File Open by selecting STEP as file type and you'll see an [Options] button become available in the file open dialog where you can select different options on how you want SolidWorks to handle the import of the STEP files and try to solidify them.

I don't have screenshots handy because I'm not at my own PC but since you've already imported the bodies, you should go to the individual parts of the Assembly and open in Part Mode to use the Import Optimization.
In most cases this will Fix any gaps or highlight the ones that may need manual modification. SolidWorks is extremely adept at repairing imported Bodies. You may also want to try IGES or Parasolid Formats and see which gives you the best results.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ Shweep
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back