Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't decide what brand / pricepoint equipment to buy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazer406

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2006
US
I had pretty much decided to get American Standard 5 ton with gas heat to replace my current 10 SEER RUUD. Everybody around here (I live in central MS) said don't waste your money on the 90% or 95% furnace.... cause you won't see your payback until the product is already at the end-of-life.

My decision was either get the 13 SEER or 15 SEER.

Similar situation on a 2 ton system for my upstairs. AS 13 SEER or 15 SEER except a 5KW heat strip for the 2 ton instead of GAS.

Then I get my quote from my installer..... whoa!

Now I am rethinking buying the AS equipment.... as I would have to step back to the 13 SEER stuff for sure.

I want the most efficiency I can get for the $$ but I would like for it to last for 10+ years without any major problems.

My budget has me settling with 13SEER AS stuff or look into the higher SEER cheaper stuff..... like Goodman.

I really like the Goodman stuff with the 2 stage compressor.... the 2 stage (if it is gas heat) heat..... and the variable speed blower.

Has anyone on here installed a 2 stage copeland scroll..... and how do you like it? Have they been out long enough to have any sort of track record for reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back