Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Can't Find a Wrench 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris456s

Structural
Feb 2, 2017
SG
I need to find an open end or adjustable wrench for an M100 heavy hex nut. the dim across flats is 145mm to 150mm. I can't find a wrench with 150mm jaw width or an adjustable that can open that wide. Does anyone know of a website or supplier with such a wrench? These are a standard size nut but How do people turn these nuts if wrenches this size are not available?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd be lying if I said I've never used a pipe wrench in situations where I just didn't have a large enough "real" wrench.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

If you have some time you might look at "Super Bolt" multi jack screw style fasteners.
I made my own version awhile back and it work really well especially since we were assembling and dis-assembling a weld fixture for about 12 units.

Burn a wrench out of 1045 plate if it is just for occasional use. You can also contract a bolting service to remove/replace on-site, or rent a hydraulic torque wrench.

What is the "turning" you need to apply to this nut / these nuts ?
Loosen, snug tight, some desired torque ?

What is the clearance available for the "wrench" and the turning effort ?

Viper - agreed. One can always load test. There are also a great many 'store bought' wrenches that are not load rated. I can understand your comment more in the context of lifting and hoisting with fabricated lifting components. If it is going to create a safety concern make sure it is going to be safe.

I'd recommend contacting a few tool companies directly that do their own forging. Obscure tools in many cases aren't advertised due to rarity of their sale. I wouldn't recommend a pipe wrench, more common in that size and style but proper for removing hex fasteners would be a large F wrench like the good ol Ridgid spud series. As mentioned above, in many cases a tech will simply burn his own out of reasonably thick plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back