Canteliver bars development length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel Inspector

Structural
Jun 20, 2021
AE
hello,

is there in ACI code a development length formula that is specific for calculating bar development length in canteliver beams? or is it just one global formula that is used for calculating bar development length in all members, simply supported beams.. cantelivers ... etc.

the reason of my question is that in my part of the world, there is a widely accepted formula that is used for calculating bar development length in cantelivers specifically. the formula defines the bar development length as ( 1.5 × the length of the canteliver ). whether that canteliver length is 1m or 2m or 3m. it doesn't matter. just one and one-half the member length. it doesn't take into account the concrete compresive strength, or the steel fy, or the concrete cover, or the spacing between bars. none of that matters.

i am trying to figure out from where did people came up with formula! is there any distinguishion in the code between simply supported beams and cantelivers with regard to bar development length?

also, would it matter if the canteliver is supported on a vertical member ( column or wall ), or it is just the length that should be satisfied either by embedment in another beam or by embedment in a column.

thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It varies acc . to cantilever type and supporting conditions ..For example, if cantilever is extension of a beam , Copy and paste of relevant section of ACI 318 for beams ;

9.7.3.3 Reinforcement shall extend beyond the point at which it is no longer required to resist flexure for a distance
equal to the greater of d and 12db, except at supports of simply-supported spans and at free ends of cantilevers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back